(1919) Stadium Mall
This mall’s brick front was once part of Hoover’s Hamilton plant. The Hoover Suction Sweeper Company of North Canton, Ohio, built a factory on this site in 1919. It replaced a much smaller plant that the company had operated in Windsor, Ontario, since 1911. Workers at this new plant produced W.H. Hoover’s famous “suction sweeper,” or vacuum cleaner.
Hoover wanted a share of the new domestic appliance market, which had been created in part by the use of electricity in the home. As time went on, other products were produced here, including floor washers, washing machines, steam and dry irons and other electric housekeeping aids. During World War II, the workers at this plant adapted to the production of electric component equipment. Workers here were members of the United Electrical, Radio & Machine Workers (UEW), one of the first unions to organize industrial workers in the city. The plant was closed soon after the company opened a new Burlington facility in 1966.
Norman Garvin worked here as a gear-cutter in the late 1950s. It took him 2 minutes and 37 seconds to cut a worm gear. At that rate, he could turn out enough gears for 175 floor polishers every day.